Who am I?
Most of you know Calliopi By Design but many of you don’t know who runs it!
So hello! I’m Calliopi (I bet you weren’t expecting that) and here are some random facts about myself that not many of you know!
- People call me Callie for short – because South Africans struggle to pronounce complicated Greek names!
- I am the baby of my family by nearly 10 years and have two siblings.
- I am a big animal lover so it’s worth mentioning that I have four cats (one with 3 legs – but he runs faster than the others and jumps just as high) and four dogs (the one is blind and another has only one eye)! It’s a zoo under one roof!
- I am 23 years old and in my final year of studies, studying Informatics (IT Information Systems). Yip, studying and running CBD at the same time – that’s sort of how CBD actually came about! (Read about this story below!)
- I loooove travelling. I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list!
- My favourite food is a Boerewors Roll (like a hot dog roll but with a juicy, meaty sausage), but it has to have tomato sauce and chutney!
- One either eats to live or lives to eat, I’m the second type.
- I started Greek Dancing when I was 4 years old and am now a teacher for dancers between the ages of 3 and 60.
- I’m a piano player but get shy playing in front of others!
- My biggest regret is not kissing a dolphin when I was called up from the audience during a show when I was about 8 years old. (It’s now on my bucket list!)
How did Calliopi By Design come about?
Let’s take it back… All the way back to around 2007 when I was still in Primary School. I remember my mom sending me to holiday craft classes to keep me busy and I would come home with wall clocks, pottery, earrings and bracelets – little did I know.
Now let’s fast forward to my first year at University where I started studying Accounting Sciences. It was after my first year that I came to realise that Accounting wasn’t my calling but I decided to try and stick it out anyways. During the December holidays when I should have been studying and prepping for my 2nd year, I was trying to find something else to do with my time so that I wouldn’t have to sit in front of my books all day.
Have you ever had so much to do that you decide that it is the perfect time to do a Spring clean? Needless to say, I came across a few beads and tools that my sister had lying around and I decided to start playing around with them and made a few bracelets with whatever beads were left behind.
On a family holiday that January, I bought my first Evil Eyes to use on my bracelets and when my cousins saw them they all wanted one and that is when my Aunt suggested that I start selling them. Would you believe me if I told you that I still sell those bracelets now? Well here they are!
I took to Facebook and posted a few photos (looking back now – terrible photos) and received a few orders from friends (you always need a good support system)! I wanted to start a Facebook page to get the word out on the street but of course needed to call this little hobby something? Calliopi Designs, Designed By Callie, Callie’s Designs – we thought of them all and then finally settled on Calliopi By Design.
As the years go by, Calliopi By Design keeps surprising me with its growth but it will always remain my little baby. Being a one man circus (one women really, hashtag girl boss – yaass), I often call up help from my boyfriend or mom, especially for my market days – but I’m not ready to grow CBD out of my own hands just yet.
It hasn’t been the easiest 3 and a half years, but if there is one thing that I have learnt, it’s to keep pushing through the hard times – you’ll be surprised by how much you learn and grow, both personally and professionally.
I’ve always said: if your dreams don’t scare you, they’re not big enough!